The work of the Yorkshire and the Humber Cardiac Network, as supported by the Clinical Networks, has now come to a close and these webpages will no longer be updated.
Cardiac Work Priorities:
The Yorkshire & Humber (Y&H) CVD SCN hosted a multi-stakeholder event for cardiac services and the following key headline priorities were identified from this event and through subsequent meetings and conversations with those working in CVD. They include:
- Improving access to acute CVD care. This includes several strands of work looking at different aspects of acute care such as: provision of ‘round the clock’ (24/7 and 365 days) acute care; improving primary angioplasty for patients with an ST Elevation Myocardial Infarction (STEMI) and angiography / Percutaneous Coronary Intervention (PCI) for non- STEMI patients; improving access to the complex device service, and better care for ‘out of hospital’ cardiac arrests.
- Assurance of cardiology services, focussing on the development of cardiology standards and of peer review in cardiology across the region.
- Supporting development in services under specialised commissioning, including primary PCI (developing business continuity plans, referral criteria, and standardised pathways and data), commissioning through evaluation, reviewing acute surgical referral pathways and complex cardiac devices.
- Support the reduction in inequality and variation across Y&H in a range of agreed sub-speciality areas – i.e. Familial Hypercholesterolaemia (FH)
So- what are we doing in the Cardiac Network?
- We have established a Regional Cardiac Services Clinical Expert group (RCSCEG). The membership of this group comprises cardiology and cardiac surgery clinical directors/leads in all 14 acute trusts, specialised services lead for cardiac services, Yorkshire Ambulance Service specialty lead and the SCN cardiac team. The group meets bi-monthly and provides clinical advice & expertise to the CVD Strategy Groups from across the Y&H region.
- We have developed regional referral criteria for Primary PCI (for those patients with a STEMI meeting the agreed criteria) and a minimum dataset for the roll-out of a region-wide audit of Primary PCI (PPCI) referrals, in order to support the Y&H PPCI Working Group.
- We are supporting national and regional initiatives, such as the South Yorkshire & Bassetlaw (SYB) “Working Together” Programme for Cardiac & Stroke. As part of this particular work stream, we are developing a suite of cardiology standards for peer review in conjunction with the SCN Cardiac Clinical Leads and the RCSCEG.
- We have set up a Working Group to gain a regional overview of the Acute Coronary Syndromes (ACS) pathway and to look at ways of improving the current pathway.
- We are working collaboratively to ensure the roll out of FH services across the region.
- We are undertaking a baseline demand, capacity and access audit of Cardiac Resynchronisation Therapy (CRT) and implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) services in conjunction with specialised commissioning and Public Health England (PHE).