CYP Eating Disorders
What is happening in Yorkshire & the Humber
Links for children, young people, families & carers
Links for professionals
What is happening in Yorkshire & the Humber?
The CYP Mental Health Clinical Network established a Yorkshire & the Humber Children and Young People’s Eating Disorder Learning Collaborative, which is chaired by Clinical Advisor Anne Worrall-Davies, and had its first meeting in November 2016. The aims of this Learning Collaborative are:
- To develop a learning community within Yorkshire & the Humber which focusses on meeting the needs of children and young people with eating disorders and improving the care they receive.
- Reduce any inequalities in care across region.
- To support the delivery of the eating disorder elements of Local Transformation Plans.
- To support the service development of Community Eating Disorder Services for Children and Young People (CEDS-CYP) in line with national guidance and NICE standards.
- Improve timely access to care through achievement of the national RTT access and waiting time standards.
Each specialist NHS CYP Mental Health provider within Yorkshire & the Humber is represented, along with Health Education England, NHS England Specialised Commissioning, the voluntary sector, adult mental health services, acute paediatrics and children and young people themselves via the Stairways Advisory Group.
In Autumn 2016 we undertook a benchmarking exercise of specialist NHS CYP Mental Health Services in Yorkshire & the Humber and then repeated this again in 2018, based upon national guidance, to help us identify where we can help services improve. As a result we are producing a number of shared learning resources.
The specialist NHS CYP Mental Health Providers covering Yorkshire & the Humber and delivering eating disorder services are:
Links to Key Documents
Links for Children, Young People, Families & Carers
- Here you can find lots of videos and information about eating disorders and body image and NHS Choices can help you find someone locally to talk to.
- Beat – a national charity for eating disorders including the Beat Youthline which is open to anyone under 18 on 0808 801 0711. Beat also has a an email service and an online one to one service.
- MindEd for families - MindEd for Families has online advice and information from trusted sources and will help you to understand and identify early issues and best support your child.
- A poem written about mental health and eating disorders with info about what services to access in North East Lincolnshire - The Voice
Links for Professionals
- MindEd for professionals & volunteers has e-learning applicable across the health, social care, education, criminal justice and community settings. It is aimed at anyone from beginner through to specialist.
- Royal College of Psychiatrists Factsheet for people working with children and young people.
- The Northern School of Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy is a regional training resource available to develop the workforce, particularly around evidence based treatments for highly complex cases, such as entrenched eating disorders, as well as providing specialist clinical support to help rehabilitate and reintegrate children and young people.
- Factsheet for primary care – an outline of what is happening nationally and how to make a good referral.