We work closely with a range of system partners, for example, Commissioners, Providers, Health Education England, Local Authorities, across Yorkshire and the Humber to deliver the ambitions outlined within the NHS Long Term Plan.
What We Are Trying To Achieve
The NHS Long Term Plan (2019) includes ambitious targets for community mental health, with eating disorder identified as a key area for investment. The ambition is to rebalance services from inpatient to community based, so that adults with eating disorders will be able to access treatment earlier and closer to home.
Why It’s Important
This programme of work sits within the Community Mental Health Transformation programme. In addition, the pandemic has seen a significant increase in the demand for eating disorder services. The Clinical Network aim to support services in line with national deliverables.
What We Have Achieved In The Last 6 Months:
- Completed a mapping exercise of adult eating disorder services in the Yorkshire and the Humber region, to help us understand where there are gaps in services, identify ways of improving the patient and carer experience and potential areas for improving knowledge/training.
- Commissioned Beat to support 45 families to increase their knowledge, skills and confidence in caring for a loved one with an Eating Disorder.
- Commissioned worked Beat to support 45 professionals not-specialising in eating disorders but who may encounter patients with a suspected eating disorder to increase their knowledge, skills and confidence in spotting and responding to someone who presents with an Eating Disorder.
- We have worked with a servicer user (or expert by experience) (Lou)to create a short film about her experiences of having an eating disorder and the treatment received throughout the illness; Lou’s story is a powerful example of the impact of body image and eating disorders throughout the lifespan. We have shared the film with… to ensure the patient voice is central to all we do.
Meetings and Events
Full title of the meeting please Learning Collaborative (Quarterly) Also outline CMH meeting links
What We Plan To Do In The Next 6 Months:
- Continue to develop and provide training opportunities for professionals, with training planned on Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID) and Autism. Awareness raising sessions with general practitioners (GPs), and community services will also be held.
- Continue to engage with primary care services (GPs and community services) in West Yorkshire and Humber Coast and Vale Integrated Care Systems, similar to the Specialist Eating Disorder Service mapping, to find out what eating disorder support primary care services may need. This shouts out the absence of SYB.
Specialist Eating Disorder Services can be found here
Services in our region include:
- SYEDA – South Yorkshire Eating Disorder Association
- Riverdale Grange
- Nottinghamshire Eating Disorder Service
- Freed Beeches Eating Disorders Service
- Evolve Hull Community Eating Disorder Service
- Home – SEED | Eating Disorders Support Service
- Eating disorders community service for adults – Tees Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust
- Schoen Clinic York – Adult Hospital for Eating Disorders
- CONNECT: The West Yorkshire Adult Eating Disorders Service
- Rharian Fields :: NAViGO
Helpful Resources & Links
Professionals – please contact us for details of our FutureNHS page.
- Beat – a national charity for eating disorders
- SEED (Support and Empathy for People with Eating Disorders) – registered charity providing support and guidance from people with first-hand experience of Eating Disorders
- SYEDA (South Yorkshire Eating Disorder Association) – independent charity providing non-judgemental support to people affected by Eating Disorders
- NHS Overview of Eating Disorders
- NHS Supporting Someone with an Eating Disorder
- Mind – provides information on possible causes, symptoms, how to access support and self-care tips.
- Adult Eating Disorders: Community, Inpatient and Intensive Day Patient Care Guidance for commissioners and provider
- Adult Specialist Eating Disorder Engagement and Mapping Exercise May 2021